Traveling broadens your mind and can change your perception about everything. Muhidin Rizki , Jakarta, used to travel to developing countries, in need of a change. Simply by changing our surroundings alone, we can free ourselves from all the stress and strains and can change our mindset. Rizki has written about his first experience in Nepal. Excerpts:
- With no regards for other’s safety, people were using their phone to click selfies and call their relatives. The first impression definetely was not good and gave him a general idea of how the journey is going to be like.
Kathmandu where things actually turned out to be much better than expected
- Technology hasn’t advanced as much as it has in the other developing countries. People still use tube tv.
- Power Cut is still one of the major problem faced by every Nepali.
- Amidst all the problems and hassles, he loved the uniqueness and a peculiar character of Kathmandu Valley
- Beautiful prayer flags flap in the wind
- Despite being chaotic, messy and dirty, Rizki found Kathmandu equally beautiful, energetic and full or surprises.
- Nepali are humble and they always greet you with Namaste and a smile 🙂
- Shops with affordable and authentic souvenirs.
- Walking the streets in Kathmandu is fun and enjoyable.
Places and People
- Cows are considered sacred and are even worshipped during festivals.
- Dal Bhat is the national food of Nepal
- Pokhara is the ideal place to be if you are yearning to get away from the stress and strain of everyday life
- Tibetan Refugee Camp is way cheaper and Rizki recommends everyone to go shopping in the tibetan refugee camp.
- He also made it to the Tashiling Refugee Camp in Pokhara. It was 3-4 km walking distance from his hotel.
- Rizki was amazed the warm hospitality of Nepali people and that made him feel welcomed and happy.
One of lovely thing about Nepal is that they use prayer flag as decoration. The flags have message OM MA NI PADME OM on them. You can hear throughout Nepal. Literally everywhere even in the bus. Up until now, I still can’t get this song out of my head. It is really relaxing.
Buy an extra baggage in advance because he is sure that you will end up buying a lot if stuff or you will end up pay 110$ for extra baggage in the airport.